Since it's the year of the metal tiger, for Thursday 13, let me share with your some 13 interesting facts about TIGERS!
- Tigers are the largest of the big cats.
- Wild tigers are at the very top of the food chain.
- There were originally eight subspecies of tiger, the Javan, the Bali, the Caspian, the Indochinese, the Sumatran, the Bengal, the Siberian, and the South China tiger.
- Unbelievably three of the eight subspecies are now extinct. The Bali tiger met its demise in the 1940s, the Caspian in the 1970s and the Javan in the 1980s. (Yes you read that right--the 1980s!)
- The latin names for the subspecies are:
pantheris tigris amoyensis - The South China tiger
pantheris tigris altaicia - The Amur (Siberian) tiger
pantheris tigris sumatrae - The Sumatran tiger
pantheris tigris corbetti - The Indochinese tiger
pantheris tigris tigris - The Bengal tiger
pantheris tigris balica - The Bali tiger
pantheris tigris virgata - The Caspina tiger
pantheris tigris sondaica - The Javan tiger
- A captive tiger can live up to twenty years, while a wild tiger can expect to live ten to fifteen years.
- Tigers are an umbrella species, which means to save the wild tiger we must also commit to saving its habitat and prey.
- The tigers saliva is antiseptic and comes in handy for cleaning their wounds.
- An adult wild tiger is a solitary, territorial animal. A single tiger's territory can cover over 160 square kilometres (100 square miles).
- A tiger marks its territory by spraying surrounding trees and bushes with urine, dropping prominently placed scat, and leaving deep scratch marks on tree trunks
- In the scent of the tigers urine and scat is a code which can only be deciphered by other wild tigers. The message not only acts as a warning to trespasses, but will also supply all the information needed for a would be mate.
- Tiger stripes are individually as unique as the human finger print and if you were to shave the fur from a tiger it would still have stripes.
- Tigers reach maturity and are ready for mating at the age of three and the male tiger can copulate up to six times an hour. (Please don't ever think of marrying a tiger because of this fact!) LOL
Happy Thursday everyone!